Grilled Jalapeno Poppers
At most parties I like to provide a wide range of grilled finger foods for my guests to enjoy…something to stimulate their appetites as we get closer to the main event. This jalapeño popper gets the party poppin’ every time what with the zing of the jalapeño combined with the creamy cheese & horseradish filling then capped and wrapped with BOTH sausage and bacon. Grab a napkin when eating…its an explosion of flavors!! Check out the recipe below or click on over to the video to see this recipe in action.
Grilled Jalapeño Poppers
Prep time: 15 minutes
Grilling time: about 16 minutes
Special equipment: 16 toothpicks
8 slices lean bacon, each cut crosswise in half
4 fully cooked smoked sausages, each 3 to 4 ounces
¼ cup grated cheese, any type you like that will melt
¼ cup cream cheese
¼ cup smoked almonds, coarsely chopped
2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
1 teaspoon prepared horseradish
8 jalapeño chile peppers
1. Soak the toothpicks in water for at least 30 minutes.
2. Prepare the grill for direct cooking over medium heat (350° to 450°F).
3. In a microwave oven on high, cook the bacon until the fat is slightly rendered, 2 to 3 minutes.
4. Brush the cooking grates clean. Grill the sausages over direct medium heat, with the lid closed, until nicely browned and heated through, about 8 minutes, turning once. Remove from the grill and, when cool enough to handle, cut each sausage crosswise, and then cut each piece lengthwise.
5. Combine the grated cheese, cream cheese, almonds, Worcestershire sauce, and horseradish.
6. Cut the tops off the jalapeños, and then cut each jalapeño lengthwise in half. Remove the seeds and veins. Fill each jalapeño half with some of the cream cheese mixture, and level it off. Then top each with a piece of sausage, creating a cylinder shape, and wrap with a piece of bacon, winding it around in a spiral. Secure with a toothpick.
7. Grill the poppers over direct medium heat, with the lid closed, until the bacon is crisp, about 8 minutes, turning once or twice. Remove from the grill and let rest for 10 minutes. Serve warm. ENJOY!