1. With the breast side facing up, slide a 3-foot piece of butcher's twine under the back and drumsticks.
2. Cross the twine just above the drumsticks.
3. Wrap the twine around the drumsticks and pull toward the outside to bring the drumsticks together.
4. Pull the twine tightly along each side of the chicken between the joints of the drumsticks and the thighs.
5. Tie the two ends of twine together between the neck bone and the top of the breast. Pull tightly to bring the legs up against the breast.
6. After you cut off any dangling twine, the chicken is ready for grill-roasting or cooking on a rotisserie.