Order Dad his very own Master-Touch Grill by 6/8 to receive by Father’s Day. Build Now!
Take Your Grilling Anywhere
FIRE UP YOUR GRILL
- In a small bowl combine the rub ingredients. Lightly brush the ribs on both sides with oil and season evenly with the rub. Cover and refrigerate for 1 to 2 hours. Allow the ribs to stand at room temperature for 15 to 30 minutes before grilling.
- Prepare the grill for indirect cooking over medium heat (350° to 450°F).
- Brush the cooking grates clean. Grill the sweet potatoes over indirect medium heat, with the lid closed, until tender when pierced with the tip of a knife, about 45 minutes, turning once or twice. Remove from the grill and let cool. Meanwhile, make the chowchow.
- In a medium saucepan over medium-high heat on the stove, warm the oil. Add the mustard seeds and cook until they begin to pop, about 1 minute (if the mustard seeds don’t pop, the seeds will be too crunchy and won’t have much flavor). Cover with the lid as needed to keep the seeds from popping out of the pan. Quickly add the onion, bell pepper, and jalapeño. Cook until the onion is softened but not browned, 3 to 5 minutes, stirring often. Put all the remaining chowchow ingredients into the saucepan and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat to a gentle simmer and cook, partially covered, until the liquid reduces and the vegetables are softened, 8 to 10 minutes, stirring occasionally. Transfer to a medium stainless steel bowl set inside a larger bowl of iced water. Cool completely, stirring occasionally.
- Change the cooking method to direct cooking over medium heat (350° to 450°F). Cut the sweet potatoes crosswise into 1-inch slices. Brush the slices on both sides with oil and season evenly with salt and pepper. Grill the ribs over direct medium heat, with the lid closed, until tender, 15 to 20 minutes, turning four times to brown each side. Remove from the grill and let the meat rest for 5 minutes. Meanwhile, grill the sweet potatoes over direct medium heat, with the lid closed, until lightly browned, about 5 minutes, turning once. Serve the ribs warm with sweet potatoes and chowchow.
let's Gear up
let's Gear up