Breakfast is the best meal of the day. I use my weekends as an opportunity to get outside and grill breakfast on an early Saturday or Sunday morning. This is also a great opportunity to keep the mess out of my kitchen. My addiction to breakfast food is no secret, I have a habit of eating eggs every day and I never shy away from a couple pieces of bacon. That being said I was looking for other healthy breakfast options that provide the protein and vegetables I need, with the satisfying hearty taste. I started grilling a range of egg white vegetarian frittatas and they are sure delicious. Let’s talk through one of my favorites.
3 tablespoons avocado or olive oil
3 garlic cloves, minced
½ sweet onion, diced
1 red bell pepper, diced
1 poblano pepper, diced
12 oz. baby bella mushrooms
1 cup sliced cherry tomatoes
2 cups fresh spinach
32 oz. egg white carton
1/2 cup crumbled goat cheese
1/4 cup thinly sliced fresh basil
Salt and pepper to taste
1. Add avocado oil to 10-12 inch cast iron skillet and heat on side burner of grill. Sautee garlic and onion for 3-4 minutes on medium heat.
2. Stir in bell pepper, poblano pepper, and mushrooms. Sautee for 8-10 minutes on a medium heat.
3. Mix in tomatoes and spinach for an additional 1-2 minutes, until spinach is welted.
4. Beat egg whites in a bowl until they are foamy. Add in desired salt and pepper and mix.
5. Pour seasoned egg whites over the top of sautéed vegetables in skillet.
6. Top evenly with crumbled goat cheese.
7. Grill indirect at 400 degrees for 30-40 minutes. Tip: If grilling on cast-iron grates, invert a Weber veggie basket or utilize a trivet on grate to create more convectional heat around your cast-iron skillet. This will eliminate the bottom of your skillet from getting too hot and overcooking the bottom of the frittata.
8. Top with basil and enjoy!