Buy The All-New Lumin Electric Grill Now, Pay Later. Rates as Low as 0% APR with Affirm. Learn More.
Grilled Appetizers: Planked Portobellos
I like to incorporate the grill in all aspects of the meal, especially appetizers.
Since dinner is usually fairly involved, grilled appetizers have two requirements: easy to prepare and easy to eat. I don’t want to give a lot of thought or worry to prep and I want a morsel guests can easily grab and go.
These planked stuffed mushroom caps are perfect for the occasion. The meaty bite of the portobello is a fantastic base to the herbed cheese. The pine nuts add a little bit of texture and the smoke from the smoldering cedar envelops the entire dish in a sticky sweetness. They are endlessly adaptable and once sliced on the plank, gone in minutes. Just my kind of grilled appetizer.
Planked Portobello Mushrooms with Herb Cheese
by Mike Lang
2 large portobello mushrooms
4 ounces of good quality herb cheese spread
2 tablespoons pine nuts
1 cedar plank
1. Soak the plank in water for at least an hour.
2. Clean the portobellos. Remove the stem.
And remove the gills with a spoon.
3. Fill each portobello with equal amounts of cheese spread and pine nuts. Place on the plank.
4. Prepare a two-zone fire and preheat your grill for 10-15 minutes.
5. Grill mushrooms over direct medium heat (350 F) for approximately 5 minutes and then slide to indirect heat and grill for another 10.
6. Remove from the grill. Slice into pieces and serve.