We were looking for a steak idea for Father's Day and while dad will appreciate the quality time of spending the afternoon together, I really like the idea of grilling something a little extra special.
The steak recipe below is straight out of our new cookbook Weber's Greatest Hits. The book has 125 of our top grilling recipes of all time, so you can trust that this is a great recipe. Bonus, you can download 10 other recipes from the book by going here and pick up a copy this summer for yourself or for dad so that you can grill the other 114 recipes!
Steak recipes like the ones below are not as tricky or scary as you might think. I always have my iGrill (which also makes for a great gift!) on hand so that I can monitior the tempertaure of the steak at all times. This is especially important to me when I am investing in a cut like a T-bone.
You can grill whatever cut of steak you like for this recipe, but the T-bone has at least one great advantage: while most of the meat will develop some nice char, which we definitely want, the meat alongside the bone will be a little less cooked and a little juicier. The salsa here is similar to guacamole but with two offbeat additions, basil and Worcestershire sauce.
T-Bones with Avocado Salsa
by Jamie Purviance
Prep Time: 20 minutes
Grilling Time: 10 to 12 minutes
2 Hass avocados, finely diced or mashed
1 cup finely diced tomato
4 scallions (white and light green parts only), finely chopped
2 tablespoons fresh lime juice
1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
2 tablespoons finely chopped fresh basil leaves
1 teaspoon minced garlic
1 teaspoon minced jalapeño chile pepper
3/4 teaspoon kosher salt
1/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
1/4 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
2 tablespoons roughly chopped garlic
2 teaspoons kosher salt, divided
2 T-bone steaks, each
1 to 11/4 pounds and about 11/4 inches thick, trimmed of excess fat
Extra-virgin olive oil
1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- In a medium bowl combine all the salsa ingredients and mix well. Set aside at room temperature for up to 2 hours before serving.
- Make a little pile of the garlic on a cutting board. Sprinkle 1 teaspoon of the salt over the garlic. Use a chef’s knife to finely chop the garlic with the salt and then use the side of the knife to crush the garlic with the salt to a smooth paste.
- Prepare the grill for direct and indirect cooking over high heat (450° to 550°).
- Lightly brush the steaks on both sides with oil and then spread the garlic paste evenly on both sides. Season both sides of the steaks with the remaining 1 teaspoon salt and the pepper. Let the steaks stand at room temperature for 15 to 30 minutes before grilling.
- Brush the cooking grates clean. Sear the steaks over direct high heat, with the lid closed, for 6 minutes, turning once. Move the steaks over indirect high heat and continue cooking to your desired doneness, 4 to 6 minutes more for medium rare. Remove the steaks from the grill and let rest for 3 to 5 minutes.
- Serve the steaks warm with the salsa.
©2017 Weber-Stephen Products LLC. Recipe from Weber’s Greatest Hits™ by Jamie Purviance. Used with permission