A delicious, piping hot autumn and winter dish with a delicious nutty flavour.
In the kitchen:
- Peel the Jerusalem artichokes and cut them roughly into cubes.
- Peel and chop the onion and garlic.
- Chop the bacon or chorizo into small cubes.
- Rinse the thyme sprigs.
- Rinse the chives and chop it finely.
At the barbecue:
- Prepare the barbecue for indirect heat – approx. 220°C. Using a charcoal barbecue you need just under half a chimney starter of lit Weber briquettes.
- Place the cast-iron Wok or Dutch Oven on the GBS Cooking Grate. Put the lid on the barbecue and allow it to heat up for 5-8 min.
- Sauté the bacon or chorizo in the hot wok, then remove and set aside.
- Now add olive oil and sauté the Jerusalem artichokes in the wok for a couple of minutes. Add the onions, garlic and thyme sprigs.
- Rearrange the barbecue to indirect heat – approx. 180°C. If using a charcoal barbecue you need to remove some briquettes to lower the temperature.
- Add the chicken stock to the wok and let the soup simmer for 10-15 min. until the Jerusalem artichokes are tender.
- Remove the wok from the barbecue – remember to close the lid of the barbecue – and pour the soup into a container so you can give the contents a whiz with a handheld blender. Pour it back into the wok and put it back on the barbecue. Then add the cream and heat the soup through for a couple of minutes.
- Season to taste with salt, pepper and vinegar. Sprinkle with the crispy chorizo/bacon and finely chopped chives.
Tip: Serve with bread and a few drops of a good olive oil on top.