To celebrate the fantastic chef demonstrations at the Grillstock festivals this year, we are sharing some of our favourite Weber event recipes.
The perfect pairing of cornbread and chilli balances heat with a subtle sweetness and provides hearty barbecue fayre.
For the Cornbread:
- Set up the barbecue for baking (in-direct method). For gas a medium or half way heat, 180°C is perfect.
- In a large bowl, combine all the ingredients together except for the sweet corn kernels. Mix until you have a smooth cake mix consistency, then add the sweet corn.
- Stir to combine thoroughly. Pour into the grease proof paper lined drip pan. Bake (in-direct method) for about 20 minutes.
- The cornbread is ready when it has a golden colour and is springy to the touch. Turn out on a board and allow to cool slightly before slicing.
For the Chilli:
- Pre-heat the wok on the barbecue using the Weber Gourmet BBQ System.
- Add 1 tbsp of vegetable oil to the hot wok and wait until it is smoking before adding the meat.
- Combine the salt and pepper with mince, and then carefully add to the hot wok stirring continuously making sure the mince browns evenly. After the mince has coloured well and all liquid produced has evaporated, remove with a serving spoon and put to one side.
- Add 1 tbsp of vegetable oil to the wok followed by the onion, garlic and fresh chilli. Once these have cooked down for a minute add the chilli powder, cumin and oregano and combine.
- Finally add the Mackerson stout ale followed by the canned red kidney beans, chopped tomato, Worcestershire sauce, sugar and extra water.
- Add the mince back into the wok and allow the chilli to simmer for 30 minutes checking it every 10. If it looks dry add a little extra water. If after 30 minutes it looks too wet, keep cooking until the desired thickness is achieved.
- Serve with fresh chopped coriander and grated cheese.