A healthy and beautiful side dish that works well with a wide range of grilled dishes.
In the kitchen:
- Peel the beetroots, pat them dry, then cut them roughly into 2 cm cubes.
- Peel and crush all the garlic cloves.
- Rinse the sprig of thyme.
At the barbecue:
- Prepare the barbecue for direct heat – 180°C. Using a charcoal barbecue you will need 1/3 of a chimney starter of lit Weber briquettes.
- Place the wok on the GBS Cooking Grate, put the lid on the barbecue and let the wok heat up for 5-8 min.
- Pour oil into the wok, then add the beetroots. Add the garlic. Stir-fry the beetroots until tender – using the lid but remembering to stir often.
- Add the thyme sprig and the two types of vinegar when there is 5 min. of cooking time left. Season with salt and pepper to taste before serving.
Tip: You can also use other root vegetables, like parsnips, root parsley or carrots. If you don’t have a cast-iron wok for the barbecue, you can also bake the beetroots in aluminium foil. Just put all of the ingredients on a piece of foil and make small packages of this – then add the two types of vinegar and put the packages on the barbecue.