In the 1990s, restaurant-goers ordered warm chocolate cakes with molten chocolate centres every chance they got. And we’re still crazy about these little cakes, especially because they fit so well with the colder weather – who doesn’t love some warm chocolate?
The list of ingredients is short and the method is easy, but make sure each muffin cup holds about 125 ml batter. Finish your barbecue with great style with this heart-warming Christmas dessert.
- Use the 1 tablespoon butter to grease ten cups of a grill-proof 12-cup standard muffin tin (cups 7 cm in diameter and 3 cm deep).
- Fill a rimmed saucepan with water to a depth of 9 cm and bring the water to just simmering. Combine the remaining butter and the chocolate in a heatproof bowl. Set the bowl over (but not touching) the simmering water and melt the chocolate and butter, stirring occasionally, until smooth. Remove the bowl from the pan. In another bowl, whisk together the eggs and sugar until light and fluffy, about 20 seconds. Add the warm chocolate mixture to the egg mixture and whisk until smooth. Add the flour and mix until specks of white are no longer visible.
- Divide the batter evenly among the prepared muffin cups, filling each cup almost to the rim (about 125 ml batter per cup). (If you are not ready to bake the cakes, the batter can be refrigerated for up to 3 hours).
- Prepare the barbecue for indirect cooking over medium heat (ideally 200°C).
- Brush the cooking grates clean. Place the muffin tin over roasting/ indirect medium heat and bake, with the lid closed, until the cake tops no longer jiggle when you shake the tin, about 10 minutes if the batter has not been refrigerated and up to 14 minutes if it has been refrigerated. Remove from the barbecue and leave to rest for 5–10 minutes.
- Run a knife around the inside edge of each cup to loosen the cakes. Invert a plate on top of the muffin tin, then carefully invert the tin and plate together, set them on a work surface and lift off the pan. Transfer to individual plates and serve immediately with whipped cream, if using, and raspberries.