Brunch for Mother's Day is always a treat for mom, and what can be better than brunch cooked on an authentic Weber Grill? This recipe is even more Mom friendly because all the cooking is done outside, with minimal clean up in the kitchen. The buttery and crispy French toast, cooked on a griddle with the flavors of cinnamon, chocolate, allspice and vanilla, will be a hit with the whole family, too.
Top it off with some grilled strawberries and whipped cream, and you have a great brunch, without a whole lot of work. We do a similar dish at the Weber Grill Restaurant, with flavors of chocolate, dried cherries and fresh strawberries, during brunch on Mother's Day. Come join us, or make your own on the grill at home. This recipe will become one of mom's favorites!
Wood skewers (soaked in water 30 minutes)
Cast Iron Griddle (such as the GBS griddle)
1 loaf pound cake (or other rich loaf cake), about 1 lb total weight
1 cup half and half
¼ cup sugar, granulated
1/8 teaspoon allspice, ground
½ teaspoon vanilla extract
¼ teaspoon cinnamon, ground
¼ teaspoon kosher salt
6 tablespoons butter, unsalted, sliced into thick slices
½ cup chocolate chips, mini
If desired, up to 2 tablspoons of a strong liquor such as Grand Marnier, Khalua, etc
8 each strawberries, large
8 each bamboo skewers, soaked in water
2 tablespoons sugar, granulated
Optional: Mint leaf, whipped cream and maple syrup to finish
1. Slice the pound cake into thick, 1” slices, 8 slices total.
2. In a large, flat casserole dish, whisk together the eggs, half and half, sugar, cinnamon, allspice, vanilla and salt. Whisk until smooth. For added flavor you can add in up to 2 tablespoons of the liquor to this mix.
3. Dredge each slice of pound cake in the egg wash. Flip the slice in the egg wash at least 4 times to coat the slice all over.
4. Transfer the soaked slices to a plate, in a single layer.
5. Set-up the grill for direct medium heat by setting the burner directly under the griddle to medium, and high direct heat in the open area of the grill (this area will be for grilling the strawberries). You are looking for a grill temperature of 325F.
6. While the grill preheats, slice the strawberries in half and skewer onto the soaked bamboo skewers. Make sure the flat sides of the strawberries all face the same side of the skewer.
7. When the grill is ready, melt the butter in the griddle, and add the soaked bread slices. Make sure the slices are spread out in an even layer and can be moved around easily.
8. Close the lid and cook for about 3 minutes.
9. After 3 minutes, flip the toast over.
Sprinkle each slice with about 1 tablespoons of mini chocolate chips. Try to keep the chocolate chips on top of the toast. Close the lid and cook another 3 minutes.
10. After the toast has cooked and is brown, remove from the grill. Keep in a warm place.
11. Sprinkle the cut side of the strawberry skewers with about 2 teaspoons of sugar each, and grill the cut (flat) side over high heat for 1 minute. Tip: Only add sugar to the strawberries just before grilling for best grill marks.
12. Once the strawberries have been grilled, serve them with the grilled chocolate French toast slices.
13. Add some mint leaves, maple syrup and whipped cream, if desired.