This is a “fresh look” at a holiday classic. One that I am sure will become a new tradition at the table, and what can be better than adding some grill flavor to mushrooms and green beans? For best results and color, briefly cook the beans in boiling, salted water and then plunge into an ice bath to chill them. This will set the color and help them to stay crispy! Happy grilling!
8 x 8 casserole dish
Aluminum foil Grill pan
1 large sweet onion
1 ½ lbs green beans, cleaned
¼ cup kosher salt (for the boiling water)
1 lb cremini mushrooms, cut into quarters
2 fl oz olive oil
1 tablespoon fresh thyme, stemmed and minced
2 garlic cloves, peeled and minced
1 teaspoon kosher salt
½ teaspoon black pepper, ground
2 cups cream of mushroom soup
1 cup crispy fried onions
1. Prepare the grill for direct, medium heat (about 400F).
2. Wrap the onion in foil all over and crimp the edges. Bake on the grill until soft, about 35 minutes. Poke it with a sharp knife to see if it is cooked through.
3. Remove the onion from the grill, unwrap it and set aside to cool.
4. Bring 2 quarts of salted water to a boil and cook the green beans for 1 minute only.
5. Remove them from the water and plunge into a dish of water filled with ice cubes. This will chill the beans down and help keep the bright green color.
Drain the beans very well and toss with 2 tablespoons of olive oil, the salt and pepper and half of the garlic in a mixing bowl. Set aside.
6. Cut the mushrooms into quarters and toss in another bowl with olive oil, salt, pepper, thyme and garlic. Toss well.
7. Set the grill to medium-high, direct grilling (about 450F) and set the grill basket on it to preheat.
8. Once the basket has preheated, spread the green beans out onto it, close the lid and cook for about 8 minutes.
9. Once the green beans have cooked, transfer them to a plate and put the empty grill basket on the grill.
10. Spread the mushrooms in the basket and cook for about 8 minutes. The mushrooms will be browned and soft.
11. Place the beans, mushrooms and mushroom soup into a large mixing bowl.
12. Peel the outer skin from the roasted onion, slice it in half and slice it into thick strips. Add that to the bowl.
13. Mix everything together and spread out into the casserole dish.
14. Bake the casserole with indirect medium heat (about 400F) until heated through and lightly browned (about 20 minutes).
15. Sprinkle with the crispy onions all over and serve hot!
Keep the coals hot!
Get more holiday inspiration here! Share your #25DaysofGrilling memories with us!