For most of us, the holidays are a time of indulgence so it’s nice to have a healthy option amongst the decadence of the season. This recipe uses seasonal root vegetables and coats them with a sweet apple cider glaze. Healthy never tasted so good.
By Jennie Lussow
1 ½ pounds parsnips
1 ½ pounds carrots
1 large sweet onion
1 tablespoon olive oil
¼ cup apple cider
¼ cup chicken broth
2 tablespoons butter
1 tablespoon good-quality maple syrup
1. Peel and cut vegetables into 1-inch pieces. In a large bowl, toss parsnips, carrots and onion with the olive oil until the vegetables are well coated. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
2. Bring cider, broth, butter and maple syrup to a boil. Cook, uncovered, until reduced by half and syrupy, about 10 min. Season with salt and pepper.
3. Prepare grill for direct cooking over medium heat (350 to 450 degrees). Preheat a perforated grill pan for 10 minutes.
4. Spread the vegetables onto pan in a single layer. Grill with the lid close as much as possible, stirring occasionally, for about 10 minutes or until the vegetables and tender and lightly charred.
5. Transfer veggies to a bowl, toss with the apple cider glaze and serve immediately.