The benefits of using skewers when barbecuing prawns are:
- They prevent the prawns from falling through the cooking grill
- Allow for the prawns to be flipped quicker and easier
- Ensure the prawns cook evenly as they keep their shape, and
- Gives better presentation
This particular method has many added benefits:
- As the prawns are tightly packed, they will take slightly longer to cook, which encourages more caramelisation, colour and flavour
- Uses less cooking grill space, and
- You can cook more prawns at once
If you wish to serve prawns on skewers to individual people you may want to use the traditional method of threading the prawn onto the skewer through the head and tail end.
How to thread prawn skewers
To start, thread the first prawn onto the skewer through the head and tail end.
Thread the next prawn onto the skewer through the head end only, leaving the prawn to wrap around the first prawn.
Continue to thread the remaining prawns in a similar fashion to the second one. Nestle them together to prevent them from spinning and drying out while grilling.