- instant-read thermometer
- In a small bowl mix the paste ingredients, including 1 teaspoon salt and ½ teaspoon pepper. Spread the paste all over the lamb, cover, and marinate in the refrigerator for 4 to 8 hours. Allow the lamb to stand at room temperature for 30 minutes before grilling.
- Prepare the grill for indirect cooking over medium heat (180° to 230°C).
- Brush the cooking grates clean. Grill the lamb, fat side up first, over direct heat, with the lid closed, until nicely marked, 10 to 15 minutes. Turn the lamb over and grill for 5 minutes more (if flare-ups occur, move the lamb temporarily over indirect heat). Move the lamb over indirect medium heat and grill, fat side down, with the lid closed, until cooked to your desired doneness, 20 to 30 minutes more for medium rare. An instant-read thermometer inserted in the thickest part of the lamb should register 54ºC. Because of the differences in the thickness of the meat, there will be some rare, some medium, and some well-done slices. While the lamb is cooking, prepare the kale and white beans.
- In a large, deep pot or Dutch oven over medium heat on the stove, warm the oil. Add the kale, garlic, and red pepper flakes. Cook until the kale is wilted, 3 to 4 minutes, stirring frequently. Add the broth and bring to a simmer. Continue to simmer for about 5 minutes. Then add the beans, butter, ¾ teaspoon salt, and ¼ teaspoon pepper. Cook for 5 minutes more, stirring occasionally. Remove the pan from the heat.
- When the lamb has reached the proper doneness, remove it from the grill and let rest for 5 to 10 minutes. Cut across the grain into thin slices and serve with the kale and white beans.
Let's Gear Up
Let's Gear Up
Instant-Read Thermometer¥ 2,790