- Prepare the grill for indirect cooking over medium heat (180° to 230°C).
- Trim the leafy tops from the beets leaving about 12 millimeters attached; reserve the tops. Leave the root ends intact. Scrub the beets under cold water, pat dry, and then lightly brush with oil. Brush the cooking grates clean. Grill the beets over indirect medium heat, with the lid closed, until tender when pierced with the tip of a knife, 1 to 1½ hours depending on their size, turning once. Remove from the grill and let stand until cool enough to handle. Trim the ends from the beets and discard. Rub off the skins. Cut the beets into 6- to 12-millimeter slices and place the red and golden in separate bowls (to keep the red beets from dying the golden beets red).
- Wash and dry the orange. With a zester, scrape off 1 tablespoon of zest; or, use a vegetable peeler to remove enough strips of zest to total 1 tablespoon when finely chopped. Reserve the zest. Cut the remaining skin and white pith from the orange and discard. Working over a medium bowl, separate the orange into sections, letting the sections and any juice fall into the bowl. Add the reserved orange zest and the remaining dressing ingredients to the orange sections. Gently stir to combine.
- Lightly brush the onion slices with some of the dressing and grill over direct heat, with the lid closed, until tender, 10 to 12 minutes, turning once or twice. Remove from the grill and allow to cool slightly, then separate into rings.
- Rinse the reserved leafy tops of the beets under cold water. Select the smallest, most tender leaves and place with the romaine lettuce in a large bowl. Add half of the dressing and toss. Divide the lettuce mixture among four salad plates. Top with the beets and the onion rings and drizzle with the remaining dressing. Serve warm or at room temperature.
Let's Gear Up
Let's Gear Up
Grill Brush₹ 1.995,00
Barbecue Mitt₹ 1.595,00