We know life can get hectic not always leaving you with enough time to prepare a fresh meal or grill up a tasty treat. Luckily mason jar salads combine all of those elements and keep well for approximately 5 days, making them an ideal grab n’ go option!
The key is in the layering. Packing the layers tightly ensures minimal air between layers, thus keeping your salad fresh. Layering your salad greens at the top will create a moisture barrier that prevents the other ingredients from becoming soggy. Seal tightly and place the jars in your refrigerator. When you’re ready to eat the salad, simply pour into a bowl and enjoy!
Want to win your very own Weber Grill? Simply head over to the Marie’s Dressing Facebook page and leave a comment listing the ingredients you would include in your ideal mason jar salad. Entries must include one grilled item and a Marie’s Dressing (flavors can be found here). Submissions accepted through April 13, 2015, full contest rules can be found on the Marie’s Dressing Facebook page.
Steak and Pepper Medley
1 small flank steak
¼ cup Marie’s Balsamic Vinaigrette (4 tsp for marinade, the rest for dressing)
1 small red bell pepper, sliced
1 small green bell pepper, sliced
1 small onion, sliced
2 tsp vegetable oil
¼ cup leaf lettuce
1. In a large skillet on your side burner (or on your stovetop), warm 2 tsp. of vegetable oil and sauté the onion slices until caramelized then set aside.
2. Brush both sides of the flank steak with 4 tsp. of Marie’s Balsamic Vinaigrette.
3. Fire up your Weber grill and preheat it for 10-15 minutes. You will be grilling on medium to high direct heat, focusing on temperatures around 425-450F.
4. Cook the flank steak over direct heat for 2-3 minutes per side depending on thickness. Look for the internal temperature of the steak to be at or around 140-145 degrees.
5. Once off the grill, let rest and make sure you slice the flank steak against the grain (if you look at the meat you can see long muscle fibers. These muscle fibers need to be sliced perpendicular to make them small so that the steak is tender).
6. Take the mason jar and start layering ingredients in the following order: Marie’s Balsamic Vinaigrette, green bell pepper slices, red bell pepper slices, caramelized onions, steak, leaf lettuce. Seal jar tightly and store in refrigerator for up to 5 days. Shake well before serving. This can also be served as a sandwich by layering steak, lettuce, and tomato between two slices of toasted sourdough bread dressed with garlic aioli