One of the greatest steaks I have ever grilled is a Cowboy Cut ribeye. I can thank my friends at Lobel’s for introducing me to this!!! These babies are full of flavor, but can be very challenging when put on a grill. Over the years of grilling these monsters I have found some simple tips that guarantee BBQ heaven.
1. Take the steaks out of the freezer in the morning and place them in the fridge. They should defrost by the time you need to put them on the grill (6-8 hours). When they have defrosted or if they are fresh, take them out of the refrigerator 30 minutes to 60 minutes before you place them on the grill.
2. Make sure you season these steaks liberally because they are so thick.
3. Preheat your grill and keep temperatures around 325-350 degrees. You should grill these steaks on indirect heat and finish with the reverse sear over direct heat.
The reason we do this is because of the thickness of the steak. Searing at the beginning will cause the muscle fibers of the meat to contract, pushing out moisture, which is not what we want to do. When we grill the steaks indirectly first, it keeps the meat relaxed, full of flavor and moisture.
4. Plan on grilling the steaks for 17-20 minutes on each side. Keep track of the temperature with your iGrill. When you flip the first time use your meat thermometer to check for temps. You should be around 80-85 degrees. If it's higher, decrease the amount of cook time on the second side to 10-15 minutes. I don't think this will be the case because they are so thick.
5. Once the internal temperature of the meat is about 125-130 degrees move them over the direct heat side of the grill for 1.5-2 minutes/side for searing.
6. A final tip for grilling with charcoal. What I have found is if I move the steaks directly over the heat, the fat and moisture can cause major flare-ups.
What I have found that works well is when I move the steaks over direct heat, I close the damper on the lid. I usually sear for about 2 minutes per side. This helps keep flare ups to minimum and gives you maximum flavor and most important, the best steak ever!!