We know life can get hectic not always leaving you with enough time to prepare a fresh meal or grill up a tasty treat. Luckily mason jar salads combine all of those elements and keep well for approximately 5 days, making them an ideal grab n’ go option!
The key is in the layering. Packing the layers tightly ensures minimal air between layers, thus keeping your salad fresh. Layering your salad greens at the top will create a moisture barrier that prevents the other ingredients from becoming soggy. Seal tightly and place the jars in your refrigerator. When you’re ready to eat the salad, simply pour into a bowl and enjoy!
We haven’t forgotten about our non-meat eaters! This week’s recipe inspiration shows how you can grill up eggplant to create a mouthwatering mason jar salad.
Grilled Veggie Delight
1 large eggplant
½ small red onion, sliced
¼ cup chickpeas, cooked
3 tablespoons Marie’s Creamy Ranch Dressing
¼ cup spinach
2 teaspoons vegetable oil
handful of feta cheese
1. Cut eggplant in half, brush with vegetable oil. One tip is to make sure you slice the eggplant evenly to about ¾ of an inch.
2. Fire up your Weber grill and preheat it for 10-15 minutes. You will be grilling on medium to high direct heat, focusing on temperatures around 425-450F.
3. Grill eggplant over direct heat (meaning the food should be grilled directly over the lit burner) for 3-4 minutes per side.
4. Remove the eggplant from the grill, let it rest and then cube and set aside.
5. Begin layering the ingredients in your mason jar in the following order: Marie’s Creamy Ranch Dressing, chickpeas, red onion, eggplant, spinach, and feta cheese. Seal jar tightly and refrigerate for up to 5 days. Shake well before serving.