- Clean the fish. Rub inside and out with salt and pepper.
- Wash the herbs and place inside the fish.
- Wash the lemon and slice it. Place the lemon slices on each side of the fish in the fish basket. Close the basket. If you want the fish to have grill marks, only place lemon slices on one side of the fish.
- Cut the onion in half, leaving the peel on.
- Wash the remaining vegetables and dill and cut them into smaller pieces. Season with salt and pepper.
- Cut the lemon in half.
- Prepare the barbecue for direct heat – approx. 160-180 ºC. Grill the onion and the half clove of garlic until tender.
- Place the garlic with the cut side facing downwards. Grill the lemon for the vegetable parcels on the cut side so that it gets grill marks.
- Remove the onion and garlic from the grate, remove the peel and cut the onion into smaller pieces.
- Crush the garlic. Combine the garlic, onion, dill and the rest of the vegetables and divide evenly on 4 small pieces of baking paper. Drizzle with lemon juice before closing the small parcels with either string or just twisting the paper like on a wrapped toffee.
- Prepare the barbecue for indirect heat – approx. 150-170 ºC. Grill the parcels for 15 minutes.
- Remove the vegetables packages, and place the fish on indirect heat on the barbecue instead. Add woodchips to the grate, close the lid and smoke the fish for 15-20 minutes.
- Serve immediately.
In the kitchen:
At the barbecue:
Tip: You can substitute any of the vegetables depending on the season.
Let's Gear Up
Let's Gear Up