- instant-read thermometer
- Combine the butter ingredients. Set aside.
- Whisk the marinade ingredients. Reserve and set aside one-half of the marinade to use for basting the lamb on the grill. Pour the remaining marinade into a large, resealable plastic bag. Place the lamb inside the bag, press out the air, and seal tightly. Turn the bag to distribute the marinade, place in a bowl, and refrigerate for 2 to 4 hours, turning occasionally. Remove the lamb from the bag and discard the marinade. Allow the lamb to stand at room temperature for 15 to 30 minutes before grilling.
- Prepare the grill for indirect cooking over medium heat (180° to 230°C).
- Grill the lamb, fat side down, over direct heat, with the lid closed, until nicely marked, 10 to 12 minutes. Turn the lamb over and grill for 5 minutes more, basting the lamb with the reserved marinade. Then move the lamb over indirect medium heat and grill, fat side up, with the lid closed, until an instant-read thermometer inserted into the thickest part of the lamb registers 51° to 54°C for medium rare, 20 to 30 minutes more, basting occasionally with the reserved marinade. Remove from the grill and let rest for 5 to 10 minutes.
- Cut the lamb across the grain into thin slices. In a small saucepan over low heat on the stove, melt the herb butter. Drizzle the butter over the lamb. Serve right away.
Let's Gear Up
Let's Gear Up