Boneless, skinless chicken breasts can be so boring, but they don't have to be! Stuff them with delicious ingredients like sauteed spinach and cheese, weave them with salty, smoky bacon, grill them on your Weber, and you'll never look at chicken breasts the same again. Watch this video for a quick, step-by-step tutorial to see how easy this recipe is!
Bacon-Wrapped Stuffed Chicken Breast
By Mike Lang
½ Italian sausage
½ cup dried cherries
1 Tablespoon butter
¼ cup sweet onion, chopped
5 ounces fresh spinach
2 Tablespoons curly parsley
¼ cup soft bread crumbs
3 ounces provolone cheese, cubed
3 chicken breasts, boneless and skinless
2 pounds bacon
Kosher salt and freshly cracked
1. In a skillet, crumble sausage and cook over medium heat until browned.
2. Add cherries to the sausage and continue to cook another 3-4 minutes. Add sausage and cherries to a large bowl.
3. Return the skillet to the side burner and add the butter. Once melted, add the onion and cook until tender and fragrant, about 5 minutes.
4. Add the spinach in two batches. Cook and stir till wilted.
5. Add the spinach mixture to the sausage and cherries. Stir in the parsley, bread crumbs, and cheese. Set aside
6. On a solid surface, flatten the chicken breasts with a mallet, or bottom of a heavy pan, until they are approximately ¼ inch thick.
7. On a sheet of plastic wrap, make a bacon weave, by placing two strips of bacon, overlapping slightly, perpendicular to the counter’s edge. Repeat approximately eight times. Weave in additional bacon strips parallel to the counter’s edge, by folding down alternating strips. Repeat until the weave is complete.
8. Place the chicken breasts, skin side down, on the bacon, side by side, leaving a border of bacon around the chicken.
9. Season the chicken with salt and pepper.
10. Cover the chicken evenly with the sausage mixture.
11. Using the plastic wrap, roll the roast away from you. Keep the roll right, using the plastic wrap to keep the roll together. Once wrapped, tighten further with the plastic wrap. Refrigerate for one hour.
12. Remove from the refrigerator and remove the plastic wrap. Grill over indirect-medium heat until the internal temperature of the roast reaches 165°F with an instant read thermometer.
13. Remove from the grill. Allow to rest. Slice and serve.