- mother's day
Official Weber Website
My childhood memories consist of countless backyard barbeques on the classic 1985 red, Weber Genesis. Traditionally, many people would think back and envision their dad firing up the grill in the backyard, but memory is filled with images of my Mother mastering the grill at our backyard gatherings.
Throughout my entire life, my mom has instilled all her culinary knowledge into me and more importantly, she was my first grill master role model. As I started thinking of what I could do for my mom, I decided, why not celebrate her by grilling one of her favorite meals?
So in honor of my mom, today I’m going to talk about her favorite grilled food, rack of lamb.
The 8 easy steps to grilling a delicious rack of lamb:
1. Pre-heat your grill, with all burners on high for 15 minutes.
2. Clean off grates, using a Weber stainless steel grill brush.
3. Set up grill for direct grilling at a high searing temperature between 450-500F.
4. Apply olive oil over the meat portion of the rack of lamb. Then season all sides of lamb with salt, pepper, granulated garlic, and fresh chopped rosemary.
5. Grill the lamb directly over your heat source, for 5 minutes total, flipping once.
6. After 5 minutes of direct grilling you will move your rack of lamb to an indirect zone on the grill and turn down the grill to a medium heat of 350 degrees Fahrenheit. Grill the lamb indirect for 10-15 minutes, depending on how well done you like it.
7. My mom loves her lamb on the rare end, so I took mine off at an internal temperature of 125 degrees. If you prefer medium-rare take off at 130 degrees. For a more medium doneness, take off at 135 degrees.
8. Rule of thumb always let your meat rest after taking it off the grill for 20 percent of the total cook time. During this time the internal temperature will rise a couple degrees. Simply tent it under a piece of aluminum foil for 5 minutes and then slice rack into individual lamb pops and serve.
Grilled potatoes always pair nicely with lamb and since my mom’s favorite are sweet potatoes, that’s what I decided to serve for mother’s day. To top it off and add nice color and pop to your serving plate, serve a side dish of mint dipping sauce for your lamb!
At the end of the day, grilling your mom’s favorite meal is the most honest gift you can give to her. So find out her favorite item, fire up your Weber, and I can guarantee you will put a smile on her face! Oh, and I must not forget, a glass of Champaign to toast to the most important woman in your life. Grill on!