- cedar plank
Official Weber Website
I love chicken wings, especially on the grill. However, when I am the mood for something a little different, I forgo putting my wings on the grate and instead, put them on a plank. While I lose a crunchy crust, I gain a sweet and spicy wing with an intense layer of smokiness. There is a reason these are one of my favorites.
Planked Chicken Wings
By Mike Lang
2 lbs chicken wings or drumettes
2 oz tequila
¾ cup olive oil
4 t ancho chili powder
1/2 cup hot sauce
1/3 cup butter
1 cedar plank
1. Soak a cedar plank in water for at least an hour.
2. Get your party on. In a small bowl, mix together the tequila, olive oil, and 2 t ancho chili powder. Place the chicken wings in a bowl, or plastic bag, and add in the tequila mixture. Cover and marinate for about at least an hour in the refrigerator.
3. Prepare the grill for direct and indirect medium heat at 350-450. Place the chicken wings on the soaked plank. After the grill is pre-heated, place the plank with wings directly over the coals.
4. On the indirect side of the grill, melt the butter in a grill safe pan. Add in the hot sauce and 2 t ancho chili powder. Stir.
5. After 20 minutes, the wings are about done. Baste the wings with sauce. After 5 more minutes, flip the wings and baste the other side.
6. At about the 30 minute mark, the wings should be done.
The spicy tequila marinade and the smoking plank impart an amazingly complex flavor on the chicken. It’s part sweet, part heat, and part butter. Every time I make them, I wish I grilled twice as much.