- cedar plank
- side dish
Official Weber Website
Using your bbq you too can prepare a tasty and healthier spin on a traditionally deep fried recipe. Using the cedar plank and a lightly breaded sweet onion, you too can achieve a fresh approach to a carnival classic. Let the aromas from the cedar plank envelope the sweet onion for a tasty array of flavors hot off a Q1200 grill. Check out the recipe below or click on over to the video to see this recipe in action.
Cedar-Planked Onion Flower
Prep time: 20 minutes
Grilling time: about 30 minutes
Special equipment: 1 untreated cedar plank
1 large Vidalia onion, peeled, root end trimmed but kept intact
¼ cup all-purpose flour
Freshly ground black pepper
1 large egg, beaten
¼ cup panko bread crumbs
2 tablespoons Parmesan cheese
1 teaspoon dried oregano
1 teaspoon granulated garlic
1 teaspoon paprika
Extra-virgin olive oil
Your favorite dipping sauce
1. Soak the cedar plank in water for at least 1 hour.
2. Prepare the grill for direct cooking over medium heat (350° to 450°F).
3. Place the onion on a work surface, root end up. Make 12 incisions, each about 1-inch deep, evenly spaced around the onion. Turn the onion over and spread the “petals” apart.
4. In a shallow bowl combine the flour, ½ teaspoon salt, and ¼ teaspoon pepper. Put the egg in another bowl. In a third bowl whisk the bread crumbs, cheese, oregano, granulated garlic, paprika, 1 teaspoon salt, and ½ teaspoon pepper.
5. Dip the top of the onion in the seasoned flour, then in the egg, and finally in the bread crumbs, making sure the bread crumbs reach the inner petals of the onion.
6. Place the cedar plank over direct medium heat and close the lid. After 5 to 10 minutes, when the plank begins to smoke and char, turn the plank over. Place the onion on the plank, drizzle the onion with a little oil, cover the onion with foil, and then grill over direct medium heat, with the lid closed, until tender and golden brown, about 30 minutes, removing the foil and rotating the onion after 10 minutes. Serve the onion on the cedar plank with your favorite dipping sauce. ENJOY!