Official Weber Website
Chicken on a stick. It's as simple as grilling can get. A skewer, protein, and a hot fire. Minimal prep and even less cleanup.
While a lot of times I grill kebabs using a simple rub, a marinade provides a different profile, especially when it consists of buttermilk. By far, some of the best chicken I have ever had started with a buttermilk bath. Buttermilk's acidic nature makes all the difference. These skewers are no exception.
Skewers are a simple meal, and while a marinade isn't necessary, the buttermilk makes it so.
Buttermilk Marinated Chicken Skewers
By Mike Lang, Buttermilk Dressing adapted from Weber’s Time to Grill
1 lb boneless skinless chicken breasts, cut into 1 inch chunks (And yes, mine came from a whole chicken)
1 red bell pepper, cut into 1 inch chunks
1 green pepper, cut into 1 inch chunks
1 yellow onion, halved and…you guessed it, cut into 1 inch chunks
4 skewers (metal or wood. If wood, be sure to soak in water for at least an hour)
2/3 cup buttermilk
2/3 cup mayonnaise
4 tablespoon freshly chopped dill
1 teaspoon finely grated lemon zest
4 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
4 teaspoon sugar
4 teaspoon Dijon mustard
1. Add the buttermilk to a small bowl, and then the remaining ingredients. Stir together.
2. Take the chicken and place with half the dressing in a sealable plastic bag. Work out all the air and refrigerate for 12 to 24 hours.
3. Once done, mount the skewers. Alternate chicken, peppers, and onion.
4. Preheat your grill.
5. Reduce heat to medium heat, 350 F and place the skewers on the grate.
6. Grill for 10-12 minutes rotating every 2 minutes.
7. Once done, remove from the grill and serve with the remaining dressing.