We know life can get hectic not always leaving you with enough time to prepare a fresh meal or grill up a tasty treat. Luckily mason jar salads combine all of those elements and keep well for approximately 5 days, making them an ideal grab n’ go option!
The key is in the layering. Packing the layers tightly ensures minimal air between layers, thus keeping your salad fresh. Layering your salad greens at the top will create a moisture barrier that prevents the other ingredients from becoming soggy. Seal tightly and place the jars in your refrigerator. When you’re ready to eat the salad, simply pour into a bowl and enjoy!
If you are looking for other mason jar salad recipes then check out our posts on grilled steak and pepper salad here, our chicken fiesta here and our grilled eggplant veggie delight recipe here.
BBQ Shrimp and Kale Mix
6 pieces fresh shrimp, peeled and deveined
¼ cup orzo, cooked
¼ cup grape tomatoes, halved
¼ cup cucumber, chopped
¼ cup kale
¼ cup Marie’s BBQ Coleslaw Dressing (4 tsp for marinade, remaining for dressing)
1. Brush your shrimp with 4 teaspoons of Marie’s BBQ Coleslaw dressing.
2. Fire up your Weber grill and preheat it for 10-15 minutes. You will be grilling on medium to high direct heat, focusing on temperatures around 450-500.
3. Give the shrimp a light coating of olive oil before you put them on the grill, this will help it from sticking and will also help give it those beautiful grill marks. Grill shrimp for 2 minutes per side over direct heat (meaning food should grilled be directly over lit burner).
4. Remove shrimp from the grill and let rest.
5. Layer ingredients in your mason jar in the following order: remaining BBQ Coleslaw dressing, cucumber, orzo, grape tomatoes, shrimp, kale. Seal jar tightly and store in refrigerator for up to 5 days. Shake well before serving.