Grilled Romaine Shrimp Salad
Grilled lettuce is an unfamiliar concept to most. People tend to associate lettuce with a cold salad yet grilled lettuce yields very interesting flavors. The char on the romaine lettuce reduces its bitterness and infuses a nice sweet smoky flavor. Try grilling some proteins such as shrimp, bacon or chicken. The process of grilling will caramelize proteins, which helps seal in the natural juices and flavors. Check out the recipe below or click on over to the video to see this recipe in action.
Grilled Romaine Salad with Shrimp
Prep time: 20 minutes
Grilling time: 1 minute
3 heads of romaine lettuce
Cooked shrimp, about 5 per person
1/2 cup olive oil
1/4 cup balsamic vinegar
2 tablespoons Dijon mustard
1 tablespoons sugar
Salt & pepper
1/2 cup crumbled goat cheese
3 tablespoons golden raisins
3 tablespoons walnuts
Salt & pepper
1. Preheat the grill for direct cooking over medium heat (350-450 F).
2. Wash the heads of romaine, then brush each leaf of romaine with olive oil and season with salt and pepper.
3. Make vinaigrette by whisking together the ingredients in a small bowl.
4. Place the romaine leaves onto the grill over direct medium heat. Close the lid and let it cook for 30 seconds or until slightly wilted. Remove from the grill.
5. Place grilled lettuce on a place. Add cooked shrimp (or chicken or whatever protein you like to add to your salads). Drizzle the vinaigrette. Add goat cheese, walnuts, golden raisins. ENJOY!